Taylor's University Lakeside Campus

Building Materials


Building Materials is a module that introduces students various types of building materials. Students will learn different type of building materials in a series of lecture class.

Project 1A
We are required to identify 5 different materials that are being used in the space of our homes. Then, we need to create a catalog of these materials and describe them. The space that i picked for this project is my bedroom. The 5 materials I chose were concrete ceilings, paint, ceramic floor tiles, window iron grilles and glass windows.
My Catalog






Through Project 1A, I learned how to identify different materials used for construction and finishes. Through some readings and searching the internet, I managed to record and produce proper documentation. Also, I recognized the different types of material and their physical and chemical properties.


Project 1B
Project 1B is a group and individual project. In a group of 5, students need to select a commercial/ residential building to experience and explore the building materials of it. My group members were Surayyn, Diyana, Meera and Sonia, we picked a residential building, The Safari Roof House at Petaling Jaya. We went to the house and we analysed the different type of materials used to construct the building. The exterior and interior of the house is basically made out of concrete which makes it very interesting.
Mood Board
Group Presentation Board 1
Group Presentation Board 2

Group photo

My Individual board

Throughout this project, I learned how to identify and analyse different types of building materials. Also, I have further understanding of the physical and chemical properties of building materials. I understood that different materials used will affect the quality and experience of the space. The appropriateness of material used plays an important role in a space or building.


Project 2
This project is related to Architecture Design Studio 1 Project 3 which requires student to produce maximum 2 A2 size presentation boards to document and analyse appropriate building materials to construct for the hideout space they created in Architecture Design Studio 1.

Presenation Board

After completing this project, I have understood more about various types of building materials will affect the tactile and chemical properties of the design or space. I have explored and identified the latest building materials and technology. Then, I also learned the effects of building materials used on structural qualities of space or building.





























0 comments: